Belarusian tennis player won the gold in doubles at the Youth Olympic Games
On August 23, in the final match of the women's doubles Iryna Shymanovich and Ukrainian Angelina Kalinina beat the Russian duo Daria Kasatkina /Anastasia Komardina in two sets – 6:4, 6:4.
- Fantastic experience - said Iryna Shymanovich in the interview for the press service of the National Olympic Committee of Belarus. - I'm very glad that I was able to win the first gold medal in tennis at the Youth Olympics for my country. In Nanjing I came to play for the country, and it was very motivating, I originally was tuned and prepared to take the highest places.
- Yesterday with Angelina you played in singles against each other. Didn’t you have a fear that it would affect on your game in a pair?
- We are rivals only on the court, in life we're friends. We have been playing in a pair since 14 years old. Last year we played in the Wimbledon’s final, and now - at the most prestigious tournament. - Angelina and me agreed that we would play together in Nanjing in a pair two months ago and are very glad that we did it!
- To whom do you dedicate the medal?
- To the whole country! Cheer for us and support us!
34 Belarusian athletes participate in the Summer Youth Olympic Games in 16 sports. The competition program will end on the 27th of August.